Few words about usThe founder of the Institution is the City of Zagreb.
The institution "Dobri dom" of the City of Zagreb, within its competence, provides the following types of social welfare assistance to citizens in social protection needs:
- meals in public dining rooms (daily from 11.00 to 13.30) (weekends, holidays, public holidays (over 700 000 hot meals per year):
- PJ „Public dining room Branimirova, Kneza Branimira 3
- PJ "Public dining room Cerska", Cerska 3
- PJ "Public dining room Alfirevićeva", F. Alfirevića 6
- PJ "Thermal block – public dining room Kosnica" (meal preparation), Kosnica - Domovinska 10
- delivery of a hot meal to a house for the elderly people in social protection needs (PJ "Vozni park", F. Alfirevića 6, every day on weekends, holidays, public holiday – 155 125 hot meals per year)
- assistance in dairy food for children from 0-12 months for families in social protection needs (F. Alfirevića 6, 1x per month, quantities sufficient for 30 days),
- help in food packages for families in social protection needs (Zagreb Fair, 1 x per month – over 10 000 food packages per year)
Meals are prepared for the needs of public dining rooms in the Business Unit "Thermal Block Kosnica". The finished meals are then transported to the public dining rooms where they are distributed to fellow citizens in need. In accordance with epidemiological protection measures, lunch is not eaten in the dining room, but is taken outside with a limited number of people who can be in the dining room at the same time. It is obligatory to wear protective face masks and hand disinfection.
Creating and nurturing the authenticity of an organization means finding a way to face the challenge of diversity and stay true to yourself - authentic, and be accepted, have an impact on society for the benefit of the most vulnerable and at risk groups and work for the common good.
From the very beginning of the Institution's work, almost 18 years ago (2004), the figures speak in part about the authenticity of our Institution, which is binding: 29.2 million meals were distributed in public dining rooms; 2.6 million meals were delivered to the homes of elderly and infirm citizens in social need; 298 000 food packages were distributed to families in the Family Package Assistance Program; 68 000 packages of dairy food were distributed to families with children aged 0-12 months.
Since its foundation, the Institution has been active in the implementation of activities of public importance for the community, preparing almost 445 000 meals (Park Maksimir, 1.5., International labor day - 410 000 meals and distribution of cod on Ban Josip Jelačić Square - 35 000 meals).
More than 170,000 meals were distributed during the COVID-19 pandemic and the earthquake to emergency services and health facilities involved in public health activities aimed at preventing SARS CoV-2 virus infection.
Menus for the needs of the Institution are planned 14 days in advance. Foodstuffs used for the daily preparation of meals must comply with the applicable legal regulations and ordinances on the quality of goods and foodstuffs in circulation and must be correctly declared. Health control of food, drinking water and wastewater, as well as the assessment of microbiological purity in facilities for the production and trade of food is carried out periodically throughout the year by authorized institutions.
Beneficiaries are entitled to these types of social welfare benefits in the City Office for Social Welfare and Persons with Disabilities through a referral / certificate from the competent Center for Social Welfare Zagreb as persons in social protection needs and based on insight into their social status.
The list of beneficiaries of an individual right is determined by the City Office for Social Protection and Persons with Disabilities, and the same issues a SOCIAL ID CARD by which the beneficiary exercises an individual right. The right to the same is audited twice a year by the professional services of the City Office for Social Welfare and Persons with Disabilities.
As part of its activities, the institution prepares its meals for the following institutions/organizations arising from the social welfare sector of the City of Zagreb and beyond, for their users:
- " HOME DUGA - City institution for victims of domestic violence and the City of Zagreb.
- "CENTER NOVI JELKOVEC - Center for providing services in the community"
- “Day Care Center for Rehabilitation of Children and Young Adults MALI DOM-ZAGREB”
- Shelter for the homeless of the City Society of the Red Cross of the City of Zagreb, Kosnica
In these truly extraordinary circumstances (the COVID-19 pandemic) in which we find ourselves, health and safety is our common priority. Timely, decisive and professional action from the very beginning of the epidemic and the provision of a sufficient amount of protective equipment for the appropriate security equipment of the system and thus the full implementation of epidemiological measures, enabled continuous availability of social services to citizens to this day. All employees of the Institution are "on the first line of exposure" bravely, reasonably, professionally at the service of citizens in need.
Since the beginning of the COVID-19 epidemic and the earthquake in the City of Zagreb, the institution has been preparing hot meals every day (until September 13, 2021) for institutions engaged in certain jobs related to extraordinary circumstances in which we find ourselves:
- “Andrija Stampar Teaching Institute of Public Health”, Zagreb
- “Zagreb Emergency Medicine Service”, Zagreb
- “Public Fire Brigade” of the City of Zagreb.
The institution very actively participated (until September 13, 2021) in the organization and implementation of vaccination of citizens of the City of Zagreb against SARS-CoV-2 virus by preparing, delivering and distributing hot meals to health professionals at the following vaccination points:
- Zagreb Fair – Hall nr. 6, Av. Dubrovnik 15, Zagreb: 220 meals High School “Lucijan Vranjanin” Zagreb, Trg hrvatskih pavlina 1, Zagreb: 100 meals
- Technical High School “Jelkovec”, Vladimira Strahuljaka 1, Zagreb - Sesvete: 100 meals
- Sports facility management institution – “Dom športova”, Trg Krešimira Čosića 11, Zagreb: 100 meals
The daily compliance with the principle arising from the Food Quality and Safety Management System - HACCP, ISO 9001: 2015 quality management, ISO 14001 waste management system and ISO 45001 health and safety management system, aims to provide our citizens in social protection need nutritional quality, a healthy and safe meal.